Saturday, September 19, 2009

Pennsylvania Renewable Energy and Sustainable Living Festival

Today I went to the Pennsylvania Renewable Energy and Sustainable Living Festival in Kempton. There were hundreds of exhibitors displaying products and information on alternative energy technology, organic gardening, sustainable living, environmental education, and more. I received a lot of advice on using native plants to landscape my garden, how to use a solar fan to cool my attic, and how to contact my representative regarding a clean energy bill. I also did a little shopping and bought a fair trade bracelet from Ghana made from recycled materials.

I ate some vegetarian Thai peanut noodles for lunch with a vegan peanut butter brownie for dessert, all animal friendly and Earth sustaining!

I listened to three of the dozens of lectures. I learned about the environmental risks to the water supply from drilling for natural gas, I learned why wind energy is a viable source of energy and how buildings can become self sustaining with wind turbines, and I learned some theories explaining why bees are disappearing!


The view from Kempton - a beautiful day for a festival

The main speaker Saturday afternoon was Brian Tokar who spoke about "Renewing Energy and Renewing Society".

The evening's entertainment included traditional Japanese percussion performed by Makoto Taiko.


Paul Winter performing on saxophone. Winter incorporates sounds of nature and wildlife into his songs, he included recordings of whale songs, wolves, birds, and elk.

Labels:

2 Comments:

At 9:38 AM, Blogger o2bhiking said...

What a great festival! Don't you just love this time of year? Art

 
At 8:30 PM, Blogger Anne said...

Yes! My favorite time of year!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Hit Counters
Free Counter