Monday, September 07, 2009

Hawk Mountain and the Skyline Trail

I had a relaxing Labor Day weekend which included getting caught up in the house and garden, spending time with family and friends, and a trip to one of my favorite local spots - Hawk Mountain in Kempton, PA.

Of course I'm sad to say goodbye to Summer, I love sunshine and beaches and wearing sandals and sleeping with the windows open. But I'm also looking forward to one of my favorite times of year, longer hikes in the cooler woods with the colors of Autumn slowly appearing, sweaters, hot chocolate, a long list of foreign films I want to see, reading novels by the fireplace.

Today we went to Hawk Mountain to see the first of the Fall migrants. We picked a rather slow bird day, but it was fun to be back on the mountain again. We hiked parts of the Skyline Trail, which involved some bouldering and rock scrambling. I picked up a compass at the visitor center, hoping to learn some orienteering skills.

Skyline Trail intersection with North Lookout

2 Comments:

At 9:00 PM, Blogger o2bhiking said...

I love it there, Anne, even on a slow bird day. Haven't been there in so long I can't even remember. But once I went up there by myself and camped out about a mile past there. One of the worst thunderstorms I've even seen came through after dark, and I will never forget how scary that was.

I am a bit sorry to see the summer gone, too. Only got in the ocean once since May. Art

 
At 9:07 PM, Blogger Anne said...

Hi Art, Yes, it is one of my favorite places. Thunderstorm while camping alone at night is scary!!!! Yes, something sad about saying goodbye to Summer, even if we are entering one of my favorite seasons.....

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Hit Counters
Free Counter