New Comprehensive Study Shows Impact of Global Climate Change in the United States
A study just released today by the United States Global Change Research Program summarizes the impact of climate change in the US. The report is a comprehensive analysis produced by experts from 13 US government science agencies and from several major universities.
The key findings are summarized as follows: (from Executive Summary, opens .pdf)
1. Global warming is unequivocal and primarily human-induced.
2. Climate changes are underway in the United States and are projected to grow.
3. Widespread climate-related impacts are occurring now and are expected to increase.
4. Climate change will stress water resources.
5. Crop and livestock production will be increasingly challenged.
6. Coastal areas are at increasing risk from sea-level rise and storm surge.
7. Risks to human health will increase.
8. Climate change will interact with many social and environmental stresses.
9. Thresholds will be crossed, leading to large changes in climate and ecosystems.
10. Future climate change and its impacts depend on choices made today.
Read the full report yourself here. Understanding the science behind climate change and the potential impact is part of the key to finding solutions. The website for the United States Global Research Program contains a wealth of information on all aspects of climate change and the most up to date scientific research.