Saturday, June 06, 2009

Delaware Water Gap and Sunfish Pond

Today we went on a beautiful hike to Sunfish Pond. The weather was in the low seventies, the sky was clear, and occasionally, there was a slight breeze. Ideal hiking weather!

Tall trees and clear skies. The woods were alive with birds; we heard ovenbirds, a hairy woodpecker, and eastern towhees.

The woods were covered with fresh young ferns.

The mountain laurel is just beginning to blossom.

Pink blooms were everywhere.

New growth and colorful flowers

Sunfish Pond, beautiful as always. We stopped here for lunch on the rocks overlooking the pond.

Reflections in Dunnfield Creek

A few little waterfalls here and there. I love to walk along water, I find the sound so relaxing.

Walking along Dunnfield Creek

Labels:

4 Comments:

At 1:25 PM, Blogger troutbirder said...

Great hike and pics. I enjoy tagging along! :)

 
At 2:00 PM, Blogger Anne said...

Thanks! Glad you could tag along!!! We needed a birder on that hike, I heard so many wonderful birds, I could only identify a few of them. I only learned just yesterday that the loud bird I hear in the woods all the time is an ovenbird.

 
At 8:18 AM, Blogger o2bhiking said...

Beautiful, Anne! I finally had a short mountain hike, in the mountains of North Carolina, but haven't had time to post about it yet. It was quite pretty, and there was still mountain laurel and rhododendrons in bloom. It felt great to be in the mountains again.
The oven birds are quite cool! Very loud, and ventriloquists to boot!
Enjoy the day! Art

 
At 9:46 PM, Blogger Anne said...

Hi Art,
Glad you had some pretty hikes in North Carolina. I love this time of year! I didn't know oven birds were ventriloquists, but I know they spend most of their time on the forest floor, and it sounds like they're in the trees!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Hit Counters
Free Counter