Saturday, March 05, 2011

Bahá'í Fast Day Four

I am slowly adjusting to the pattern of the Fast. I found that it's important for me to get a full night's sleep, preferably eight hours. I commonly sleep less than that, but mask fatigue with caffeine! Without the benefit of that afternoon coffee, I found that I need to make sure I get adequate rest.

My preferred activity on the weekend is hiking, but during the Fast I avoid strenuous activity, so I spent the day at home relaxing. I started reading the book "One Thousand Gifts" by Ann Voskamp. The theme seems to fit in very nicely with this time of year for me, she writes of giving thanks for everyday things, and then she tackles the tough issues about how to give thanks in a life that contains its share of sorrows, as do all of our lives.

This morning's readings included a selection that reminded me of the themes of this book:

O SON OF SPIRIT! Ask not of Me that which We desire not for thee, then be content with what We have ordained for thy sake, for this is that which profiteth thee, if therewith thou dost content thyself.
-Bahá’u’lláh

So, as the Fast continues, it becomes less about food and more about reflection...

Labels:

5 Comments:

At 1:02 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Anne! I am so glad to get back here!
Yes, I was going to ask you about what you decide to read during the fast. I usually try to read the Qu'ran. I never complete it of course, so I end up rereading up to about 40% year after year. This time I have decided to memorize some of the surah's. My version of this book is different from any other I have seen, It is reordered chronologically. So the oldest surahs, the ones written in Mecca are at the beginning. These are usually quite short. Ummm I don't want to take up alot of space talking about them but I will mention one opinion expressed in his intro. by this Indian translator. As you know, there is a short phrase that introduces all but the 9th of the 114 Surahs,
"In the name of Allah, the Rahman, the Rahim" This is called the Basmala, BTW. So in those days the Arabic Jews called God, very often the Rahim ie. the Merciful. and the Arabic Christians of that area often called God by the name of "Rahman" ie. the Compassionate. So this was God7s way of drawing attention to the continuation of the Prophets from one to the next, in his opinion.

Finally, look what the Wikipedia author wrote:

In a commentary on the Basmala in his Tafsir al-Tabari, al-Tabari writes:

“The Messenger of Allah (the peace and blessings of Allah be upon him) said that Jesus was handed by his mother Mary over to a school in order that he might be taught. [The teacher] said to him: ‘Write “Bism (In the name of)”.’ And Jesus said to him: ‘What is “Bism”?’ The teacher said: ‘I do not know.’ Jesus said: ‘The “Ba” is Baha’u'llah (the glory of Allah), the “Sin” is His Sana’ (radiance), and the “Mim” is His Mamlakah (sovereignty).”[2] " Wikipedia

 
At 1:11 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Anne, I wonder why my location doesn't register on your statistics map? Secondly, who is that in the middle of Siberia????
Third, here is a blog I really like. and particularly this recent entry:

http://badiblog.blogspot.com/

 
At 9:16 PM, Blogger Anne said...

Hi EdoRiver,

Nice to hear from you!
That's fascinating information, I love the story about God being both merciful and compassionate!

I do see Japan showing on the map, sometimes it shows where your ISP address is, which may not be the same town you are living in. How wonderful to think someone in Siberia is reading my blog! The internet IS global!

Thanks for the badiblog link, fascinating stuff!!!

Be well!
Anne

 
At 9:56 AM, Blogger o2bhiking said...

When you fasting period is over, spring will be here full blown, and you can celebrate with a nice hike AND a meal on the trail! Art

 
At 5:31 PM, Blogger Anne said...

Hi Art,
Yes, how wonderful! One of the most beautiful times of year is almost upon us!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Hit Counters
Free Counter