Sunday, October 26, 2008

Mauch Chunk Lake Park

Today we hiked around beautiful Mauch Chunk Lake in Carbon County. The air had the crisp chill of early Autumn, but it was warm in the sunshine. The foliage was stunning, crimson and gold and orange. We walked the perimeter of the lake over rock strewn pathways and through forests of hemlock and rhododendron. Later we ate dinner in historic and unique Jim Thorpe.



Mauch Chunk Lake through crimson trees

The woods were yellow and gold and orange.

Looking across Mauch Chunk Lake


Carbon County has a refuge for injured birds. I am always saddened to see these magnificent birds in captivity, but it is so amazing to see them up close. We saw red tailed hawks, rough legged hawks, black vultures, turkey vultures, great horned owls, barred owls, and a bald eagle and a golden eagle.

This barred owl has his head turned completely around! We're looking at his back!


Our hiking group

1 Comments:

At 3:57 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am so jealous. I live in Phoenix where we have two seasons: hot and not hot. I'm not complaining, I love it here. But fall colors are all but a faint memory for me.

Thanks for refreshing my memory!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Hit Counters
Free Counter