Sunday, October 05, 2008

Hawk Mountain, Kempton, Pennsylvania

Today was a beautiful day for a visit to Hawk Mountain. By early Fall, we are well into hawk migration season. We saw dozens of sharp-shinned hawks, several kestrel, several red-tailed hawks, a northern harrier, an osprey, an immature bald eagle, and a peregrine falcon. We also witnessed an aerial "boxing match" between a raven and a red-tailed hawk!

View from North Lookout

Look! In the sky!

Another view from North Lookout

Beautiful red-tailed hawk. She was full of energy today.

Unfolding her wings

Great horned owl

All captive birds are rescues and unable to fly.

Panorama view from North Lookout

Panorama view from South Lookout. River of rocks is visible in the distance (click to enlarge)

2 Comments:

At 10:58 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice blog.
Beautiful pictures.

Please visit:
http://camera-world.blogspot.com

Good luck

 
At 10:16 AM, Blogger o2bhiking said...

That is a beautiful spot, Anne, and you have captured it beautifully. We have come a long way from the days when people went up there to slaughter the hawks and eagles on their migrations. The birds are so beautiful, and I am glad that they are protected now, and that many less people will kill them.

I went there several times when I was 19-21 and lived about 90 minutes away. I always enjoyed that spot and seeing the birds.

One of my last times there I backpacked by myself and went on a trail past the mountain for a few miles, camping out in my little blue tent. One of the worst thunderstorms I have ever seen came up after dark, and I admit I was pretty scared, even though I was below the ridgeline. The lighting was so continuous and bright that I felt like I was in a little blue light bulb. The thunder was incredible, and one bright lightening burst was simultaneous with this gigantic thunder clap. It scared the heck out of me and even though I was lying flat on my back, I jumped off the floor of my tent!!! Art

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Hit Counters
Free Counter