Saturday, August 02, 2008

Mount Tammany and Sunfish Pond, Delaware Water Gap

Today we went hiking up Mount Tammany to Sunfish Pond and along Dunnfield Creek at Delaware Water Gap. Right before we started the hike we had torrential downpours, which tapered off to a gentle sprinkling as we began our climb up Mount Tammany. Unexpectedly, despite forecasted weather conditions, after a short while the skies cleared and we had beautiful warm weather for the rest of our hike.

We were treated to fields full of blueberry bushes. They were a wonderful August treat!

Fields and fields of pretty ferns greeted us on our hike.

The always beautiful Sunfish Pond

A picture of our hiking group. Unfortunately, rain showers lead to slippery moss covered rocks. I had an unexpected incident while crossing a little stream that had formed which led to a run-in with one of these rocks. You can see my bandaged knee which I am trying not to put weight on.

I was able to finish the hike, but spent the later part of the evening in the Easton Hospital emergency room for six stitches and a tetanus shot. I can't say enough good things about the hospital staff! Admittedly, I am a difficult patient because anything medical terrifies me, but they handled my discomfort very well and gave me excellent treatment.

Beautiful Dunnfield Creek

Pretty little waterfall

Sunday update:
Fun with Photoshop: here is Sunfish Pond picture turned into a painting:

2 Comments:

At 9:22 AM, Blogger bama2683 said...

Wow what a beautiful hike! I would like to hike upto sunfish pond, but am unfamiliar with the area. Where did you start your hike at? I would like to take the same route as you did. Such beautiful pics! Also how long did it take and how many miles was it? Thanks! -Brian

 
At 10:43 AM, Blogger Anne said...

Hi Brian, Thanks, glad you liked my pictures! It was a 12 mile hike. I went with a group, so I didn't have to worry about a map, so I'm not sure how to give exact directions. But check out my other post which has the map in it, it's the same route:
http://anne99.blogspot.com/2008/04/mount-tammany-and-sunfish-pond-and.html

good luck!
Anne

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Hit Counters
Free Counter