Saturday, April 10, 2010

Hawk Mountain, Kempton, Pennsylvania

Today was a clear and cool day for a visit to Hawk Mountain to catch the Spring raptor migration. Spring migration is not nearly as dramatic in numbers as Fall migration; the birds take their time coming through and migrate more sporadically to a variety of locations. As it turns out, today was a slow day for migration, but still a gorgeous day to be out for a hike overlooking some beautiful Pennsylvania farmlands. We also spent some time in the native plant gardens enjoying some of the early Spring blossoms of trillium, wood poppy, bluebells, and many others.

A view from South Lookout to the River of Rocks trail below.

A view from North Lookout and some beautiful small farms

Spring blossoms

Overlooking the vista

More views of the River of Rocks below

I loved seeing the arrival of Spring on the mountain. Waves of variations of light green are interspersed with a few bare trees.

5 Comments:

At 10:00 AM, Blogger Anonymous for Now said...

Wonderful photos!

 
At 10:05 PM, Blogger Anne said...

Thanks "Anonymous for Now"!

 
At 11:08 AM, Blogger o2bhiking said...

I love Hawk Mountain. I went there several times when I lived in SE Pennsylvania. I enjoyed your photos. Art

 
At 9:38 PM, Blogger Anne said...

Thanks Art! It's a special place, they do a lot of environmental and conservation work.
Anne

 
At 9:33 PM, Anonymous Nancy said...

Hi,
I'm in the process of updating my website and I found the photos of North Lookout and some beautiful small farms. Also a view from South Lookout to the River of Rocks trail below. I would like your permission to use them on my home page. Is this possible?

If yes, please reply to dna51@pa.net

Thank you. Your photo's are beautiful.

Nancy

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Hit Counters
Free Counter