Blog Action Day 2010 - Water
Today is Blog Action Day, an annual event bringing together thousands of blogs to post about the same issue in order to facilitate discussion and promote action. The theme for 2010 is Water,
Here are some facts from Water which surprised me:
- 884 million people lack access to safe water, approximately one in eight people.
- Only 62 percent of the world's population have access to improved sanitation.
- 3.575 million people die each year from water-related disease.
- Water borne diseases cause 1.4 million children's deaths every year.
- Every 20 seconds a child dies from a water-related disease.
- Half the world's hospitalizations are due to water related disease.
You can learn more about the crisis and how you can help at Water. You'll find information about the global problem, proposed solutions, how you can get involved, a curriculum to teach children and youth, and links to further resources.
Check out the other Blog Action Day 2010 postings about water here!