Wednesday, August 08, 2007

Thinking about the blog....

For some time now I've been having a lot of fun posting to this blog. It has primarily been a place for posting vacation pictures, sharing the beautiful places I've hiked to, talking about my activities, keeping in touch with friends and family. So the primary purpose of this blog has become a means of self-expression, hence the title "Let It Shine".

Since blogging has become a growing social force, I thought it might be fun to also think of another purpose for the blog. I'm having a hard time defining it exactly, but I would like it to be about creating a positive future: for ourselves as individuals, for families and communities, and for the planet. Most of the links I have chosen support that purpose. I don't do a lot of important things and I don't have a lot of impact, but I do believe that we can choose the direction of our lives, and "small things lovingly done" (see quote in sidebar) can promote a better future.

My primary interests include promoting and valuing human diversity, appreciating and protecting the earth and its plant and animal inhabitants, individual education and growth, and healthy and happy families and relationships. With that in mind, I will try to add some posts on these topics, and more. I'd love to open up some dialogue, so PLEASE feel free to post comments (it would make me very happy).

I still would like my blog to remain "light and breezy", and I'm still going to put up my hiking photos, but I'm also going to try to move it in a new direction, just a little at a time....

2 Comments:

At 3:29 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi, I just found your blog via George Wesley's Baha'i Views. Wanted to say how much I'm enjoying it - your photographs are wonderful.
I like what you say in this post about your evolving ideas for the blog. Since I started blogging I've really valued the wisdom I've found and friendships I've made along the way.
Not least that George found me when I remarked in passing in a post that I knew absolutely nothing about Baha'i. So now I do, and I'm relishing it as another strand of the diversity you mention.
And yes I love the "small things lovingly done" quote in your sidebar. Would you mind if I use that (with credit to your blog of course)?

 
At 9:57 AM, Blogger Anne said...

Hi Tess,

Thank you so much for your comment! Baha'i Views is one of my favorite blogs, I love following the links and exploring the many websites he links to. I've really enjoyed looking at your blog also, I love the links between spirituality, friendship, and community. I would love to explore that in my own life as well, and I look forward to reading your posts.

I am not the original author of the "small things, lovingly done" quote, so I don't really have rights to "give permissions" for it, but what I have done is retain the original author information, so I would suggest that if you use the quote simply cite the original source (David Duncan, in "Blessed Unrest" by Paul Hawken). Since I didn't write it there's no need to reference my blog, but I certainly would love the link if you are so inclined!

Looking forward to exploring friendship, community, and spirituality with you!

Anne

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Hit Counters
Free Counter